TMJ disorders are due to problems with the temporomandibular joint, which is the area right in front of the ear on either side of the head. This area is where the upper and lower jaw meet. The muscles attached to, and surrounding the jaw joint, control both the position and movement of the jaw. Pain…
TMJ Treatment Options for Alleviating Your Discomfort
TMJ can be painful and irritating to anyone that is experiencing it. TMJ is the shortened term for temporomandibular joint dysfunction which causes discomfort to the jaw, facial area, and sometimes the head too. People that suffer from it are always looking for ways to treat their discomfort.
A dental or medical professional may both be called in to help a patient find relief from their TMJ. There are many different treatment methods and being aware of them can help someone who is suffering. In this article, we will discuss a few common treatment methods for TMJ. Read more below!
Treatment for TMJ
The discomfort that comes along with having TMJ can really cause problems for people that are suffering from it. Below, we have listed a few treatment methods that one should consider in order to alleviate the discomfort that they are feeling.
When a person is feeling initial discomfort from TMJ, a medical or dental professional is likely to recommend that medication is tried to manage or relieve any discomfort that one is feeling.
Because there are so many kinds of medications, a doctor or dentist may recommend trial periods where different ones are tried to see what helps and what doesn’t - this will help provide the most accurate method of treatment. Below, are the most common medications used to treat TMJ:
- Anti-inflammatory medications: Over-the-counter medications or a prescribed drug
- Pain relievers: Over-the-counters will be suggested but if these don’t work, a prescribed pain reliever might be necessary.
- Muscle relaxers: A doctor or dentist may prescribe these to help relax the jaw or joints surrounding the jaw.
- Physical therapy: Working with a physical therapist can help a person to find ways to relax or stretch their muscles around their face. TMJ usually affects the jaw, face and sometimes head. Having a physical therapist who can suggest different things that someone can do to relax or stretch can help relieve discomfort.
- Counseling: Talking with a counselor or psychiatric therapist can help a person find things that may be causing the TMJ. Often people that are stressed or anxious will clench or stiffen their jaw, thus resulting in things like TMJ. These professionals may be able to help pinpoint triggers so that they can be put to a halt.
Surgery or procedures
If and when TMJ continues to cause discomfort, even after medication or therapy is done, then a person should consider procedures that may be invasive. Sometimes, TMJ is bad enough that the joint in the jaw or near the face needs to be worked on to relieve the pain.
Having TMJ can be irritating and uncomfortable. Knowing what to do in order to manage or at least temporarily relieve the discomfort can help anyone who might be suffering. Talking with a medical or dental professional is ultimately the best thing that someone can do if they are suffering from TMJ.
If you have questions about TMJ and how to treat it then reach out to our office today. Our trained professionals can help answer any questions that you might have. Give us a call or stop in today!
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: TMJ Dentist.
With the help of dental veneers, having the smile of your dreams is actually possible. Before scheduling a dental veneers procedure, here are five things you should know.During the initial appointment, the dentist will discuss the patient’s needs and desired outcome. It is crucial to be as honest and as thorough as possible during this…
Regular visits to your Glendale dentist are an essential part of maintaining your oral hygiene. Simply keeping your regularly scheduled appointments is not always enough, though. You might need to go to the dentist in between appointments if something is wrong. Get some tips, so you will know if you need to come in for…
Dentistry has continued to progress as time has gone by. Dental professionals are now offering dental implants as a way to restore teeth that have been severely damaged due to extreme decay.Being aware of how dental implants can benefit someone with damaged teeth can be helpful to those that are considering having the procedure done.…